OCCUPATIONAL HEALTH & SAFETY OFFICER
Rogers is leading BC flour and food processor with two mill/processing locations. We produce high quality, competitively priced, specialty flours, cereal and value-added grain based products. Our products are distributed throughout North America and exported to Pacific Rim countries. We are currently accepting applications for the position of Occupational Health & Safety Officer based out of the Lower Mainland or the Okanagan, TBD.
As the company’s designated Corporate Safety Officer, the Occupational Health & Safety Officer is responsible for providing safety leadership and support to both Rogers Foods Ltd. Divisions in addition to ensuring compliance with corporate and federal legal safety standards and regulations.
- Identify and prioritize areas of safety performance concerns and opportunities for improvement
- Identify best practices and lead continuous improvement initiatives to reduce work process risks, raise safety awareness, and improve safe work practices
- Ensure continual safety improvements and set annual objectives. Monitor results and audit progress and recommend policies and procedures to reduce risks and hazards
- Perform safety and environmental audits and inspects facilities, machinery, and safety equipment to identify and correct potential hazards, and to ensure safety regulation compliance
- Work with divisional supervisors/managers to develop remediation solutions for audit issues
- Participate with divisional supervisors/managers to investigate industrial accidents, near-miss incidents, and occupational injuries to determine causes, install preventative measures and help manage return-to-work activities
- Develop, update and manage workplace safety programs, risk assessments, rail spur safety programs, WHMS systems, standard work procedures and policies
- Manage workplace safety programs, procedures and policies
- Conduct or outsource environmental testing, ergonomic assessments
- Establish and monitor safety programs designed to reduce lost-time incidents, recordable cases and improvements in the divisional/company safety records
- Establish facility safety programs, including on-boarding and record keeping working with plant leadership and human resources to insure these programs are carried out
- Ensure training activities are recorded in the company’s HRIS and monitored for applicable expiry dates
- Review and revise emergency evacuation plans, conduct annual fire/evacuation drills
- Monitor, analyze and report safety and environmental metrics and performance for the divisions
- Prepare and submit annual compliance reports to HRDC
- Review reports of injury to ensure completeness and appropriate action is taken to prevent re-occurrence
- Coordinate or administer health and safety testing/certifications for employees
- Work with Human Resources to ensure proper execution of workers’ compensation programs
- Responsible for compliance with Canada Labour Occupational health and Safety requirements and ensures employees follow established practices and guidelines
- Other related duties as assigned
- Demonstrated post-secondary education majoring in Occupational Health & Safety and/or hold a recognized OH&S designation i.e. CSO, NCSO, CRSP, etc.
- Minimum of 3 to 5 years of related leadership experience
- Demonstrated working knowledge of all safety rules at all levels of government including Work Safe BC and Federal Health & Safety Regulations
- Possess or be agreeable to obtain “Trainer” certifications to provide in-house training in areas of Confined Space, Forklift, Fall Protection, etc.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Programs to produce health and safety program documentation.
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Self-motivated with strong project management and multi-tasking skills is required
- Valid driver’s license and ability to travel monthly between divisions
- Based out of the Lower Mainland or the Okanagan, TBD
Please submit your resume by May 3, 2019 to firstname.lastname@example.org
We thank all applicants for their interest, but advise that only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Rogers Foods is an equal opportunity employer.