- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Generously grease a 10-cup (2.6-L) Bundt pan with some butter and dust lightly with flour, tapping out the excess. Be sure to get into all the nooks and crannies to make sure the cake doesn’t stick when baked.
- To make the syrup, heat the sugar and orange juice in a small saucepan until the sugar dissolves. Set aside.
- Sift together the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, add the sugar and orange zest. Rub the zest in the sugar with your fingertips until it resembles wet sand.
- Add the eggs, orange blossom water and vanilla, and using a stand mixer or electric hand mixer, beat on medium-high speed for 3 to 5 minutes, or until the eggs are thick and pale.
- Turn the mixer to a low speed and alternate adding the dry ingredients and the olive oil. Stir in the yogurt before pouring the batter into the Bundt pan.
- Bake for 30 to 40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- Poke plenty of holes across the top of the cake with a toothpick. Pour the syrup on top, letting it seep through the holes.
- Let the cake cool for exactly 10 minutes before inverting it onto a wire rack to cool completely. If you try to remove the cake from the pan too early or too late, it could stick to the pan.
- To make the glaze, mix the sugar and orange blossom water in a small bowl. Add the orange juice 1 spoonful at a time until you have a smooth, pourable consistency. If it’s too thin, add a little more sugar, and if it’s too thick, add a little more orange juice or water. Pour the glaze evenly over the cake and serve.
Excerpted from The New Way to Cake: Simple Recipes with Exceptional Flavor by Benjamina Ebuehi. Copyright © 2019 Benjamina Ebuehi. Published by Page Street Publishing
NOTE: ALL OF OUR RECIPES PRINT OFF BEST IN A SAFARI BROWSER, NOT IN CHROME